- Nick Fortugno, CCO of Playmatics
- Rebecca Bennett, Marketing & Community Manager of Dreamsail Games
- Lawrence Mascia, Owner of Goodnight Games
- Ben Miller, Lead Designer of Fabraz
- Dan Butchko, CEO of Playcrafting
- Nick’s guide to outstanding design and player guidance
- Thoughts on how indie developers will change the nature of art
- Rebecca’s thoughts on indie marketing, streaming, influencers, and VR
- How Lawrence quit his cozy job to learn coding in a Barnes and Noble
- Why it’s time to stop tweaking and finally ship your game
- Ben’s insight into console ports and finding ways to have fun while making games
- Plus an inside look at Play NYC, New York’s first dedicated gaming convention!
So what is The Road to Play NYC? This is week one of a 3-week, limited run series we’re producing along with Playcrafting in the time leading up to Play NYC, New York’s first dedicated gaming convention. For the next three weeks, we’ll be talking with indie devs, experienced profesisonals, and companies who will all be attending the convention in the heart of Manhattan about their stories, their advice for others, and much more.
This week, previous guest Dan Butchko returns to the show to talk about Play NYC and why you should be there! Then, Nick Fortugno gives a crash course on game design and storytelling in interactive media, Rebecca shares some tips and insight into jumpstarting your indie marketing campaign, Lawrence gets weird on the show and talks about how your first game will almost certainly suck, and Ben shares his thoughts and insight as the lead designer for an acclaimed indie studio.
It’s a jam-packed week, and we’re not stopping here. More guests will be stopping by over the next two weeks to share their stories, insight, and advice before they all meet up on August 19th and 20th for Play NYC, so stick with us. I’m having a blast talking to all of these intelligent and talented people, and I hope you will too.
– Logan Schultz, Indie Insider Host
Have thoughts or questions? Want to be on the show? Email us: [email protected].
Indie Insider, presented by Black Shell Media, is the podcast that dives into the independent video game scene by speaking with indie developers, publishers, and industry professionals about their projects, stories, and thoughts on the hottest current topics! Indie Insider airs every Monday on BlackShellMedia.com and podcast hosting sites everywhere.
Black Shell Media is a publishing and marketing firm dedicated to helping independent video game developers reach massive audiences, publish financially successful titles, and turn game development into a career. It’s our mission to help game developers get more of what they want out of a rewarding opportunity in the game industry: more fans and sustainable revenue to keep them moving forward.